Sunday, May 25, 2008

Goliath

Growing up in nearby Braintree, I always saw the "big blue dog" from practically any hill. That dog was a crane known as Goliath. Goliath is huge, with 300-foot legs and a 390-foot crossbeam. At one point Goliath was the largest in the Western Hemisphere. In its day it was used to build liquefied natural gas tankers and other large ships in the now closed Quincy Shipyard. Sadly, this landmark will be gone soon, for it was sold to a company who will be shipping it to Romania. Farewell Goliath. Good puppy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My father, grandfather, great uncle, and my mother's cousin all worked on Goliath. I'm sad to hear it's going away...

lpat said...

As of a couple of days ago it was still there. It does look like some structures are being put in place next to Goliath, probably to help dismantle it. But it is taking a lot longer than planned to take the crane down.

I will miss Goliath...It has been there as long as I remember.